My name is Roger Chamberlain, and I would like to represent you in the Minnesota Senate – District 36. That includes the communities of Birchwood, Centerville, Circle Pines, Gem Lake, Lino Lakes, North Oaks, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, and White Bear Township.
My wife, Annette, was born and raised in White Bear Lake and we have lived in Lino Lakes for several decades, raising our two children here and welcoming our first grandchild. I sincerely love this unique and beautiful community.
I served in the United States Navy and as a medic in the Minnesota Army National Guard.
After my years of military service, I received a degree in law enforcement and a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Metropolitan State University. My career was as a finance professional working in taxes, advising in construction and financial services. Currently, I enjoy being a self-employed handyman.
In the Minnesota State Senate I currently serve on the following legislative committees:
- Chair, Education Finance & Policy
- Energy & Utilities Policy & Finance
- Property Taxes
- Previous Chair, Taxes
Thank you for allowing me the honor to serve our community in the Minnesota Senate. I am deeply grateful and blessed. I understand the area and its issues – and importantly, how to be effective in St. Paul. Our families, friendships and community relationships are how we heal and move forward.
We have accomplished a great deal by listening and working together
- Working with the community and the state we addressed the Water Gremlin problem. I sponsored legislation that banned the cancer-causing chemical known as TCE.
- Locally, I have worked, and sponsored legislation, to find workable and reasonable solutions to protect groundwater preserve White Bear Lake.
- Statewide our environment and natural resources our vitally important to all of us. I support the Environmental Legacy dollars that protect and conserve Minnesota’s natural resources.
- Working with the community to stop the unpopular and destructive proposed bus-line running through White Bear Lake and Vadnais Heights.
- Rebuilding the Highway-35E and County Road J interchange.
- As previous Chair of the Senate Taxes Committee I passed tax cuts and relief for middle-class and low-income families, seniors and small business.
- I am lead author of legislation to legalize sports wagering in Minnesota.
Place Students First: It hurts to see what is happening to Minnesota’s education system. Currently, Fifty percent (50%) of our children are NOT reading at grade level. I have worked hard, and will continue to do so, to support schools, teachers and to reduce their burdens.
- Led efforts to empower parents in their child’s education, including curriculum transparency and students’ mental health.
- Led on the problems of social media and passed legislation to start addressing the dangers to children.
- Authored funding for special education—the number one priority for school officials and teachers.
- Working with parents and educators, invested in academics and proven literacy programs to help children with Dyslexia and to ensure ALL children read at grade level.
- The last two years have been difficult for children, parents, and schools. I led efforts for record funding—focused on academics, reading, and stopped new mandates and burdens on our teachers.
- I will continue to work hard and return to common sense in academics, improve the trust and partnership between parents and schools, empower parents and educators.
Keep our Communities Safe: Top priority of government! The last several years crime has increased exponentially. Here are a few ideas to turn it around.
- Hold criminals accountable with tougher sentencing, especially for repeat violent offenders.
- Support law enforcement, including efforts to recruit and retain more good cops for our communities.
- Increase penalties for criminals who flee police officers, carjackings and fentanyl trafficking.
- We are doing a disservice to our communities and even the bad actors by not holding them accountable. If we did, more people could get the help and support they need and crime would be kept in check.
Help Minnesotans with Rising Costs:
- Supported tax relief for families struggling with inflation.
- Championed legislation to fully eliminate Social Security income tax.
- Passed legislation that lowers health insurance prices for Minnesotans.
Supported legislation that would expand access to paid family leave without a new government bureaucracy.